Friday, November 25, 2005

Infesting the Ark

PZ Myers of Pharyngula suggests that Modulator's Friday ark has a deficiency of invertebrates. Here in Thomasburg there are few examples around this time of year (though every time the temperature hits 10C, as it's expected to this Monday, there are little moths flitting about), but there are some that stay indoors with us.

I was working away at the computer one day, noticing a tiny movement on the lampshade beside me. A critter less than an eighth of an inch across was attempting to scramble up the shiny surface.

What big eyes you have!


Submitted to the Modulator's Friday Ark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle at the 'lack of invertebrates' comment- we've had a week of temps that barely reached the twenties, with windchills that cut to the bone. Any invertebrate caught out in this weather is a goner.
Love the spider shot :)

Pamela Martin said...

Thanks Cindy. It was a great eye-opener for me--without the macro feature of my little camera I'd never have known what a cute spider it was.

Wise Crow, I admire your honesty--but all invertebrates? That's a lot to deal with!

Anonymous said...

Pamela -- I just followed your link over to the spider photo. Yes, that is most certainly some species of Jumping Spider (Salticidae), and although I cant see too much of it, it may well be a Zebra Jumper (Salticus scenicus). In summer, these are the spiders that are often seen on exterior house walls. In winter, they are sometimes found indoors wandering around. They seem to be very aware of humans -- unlike most spiders which behave as though we're invisible. Jumping Spiders are supposed to have very good eyesight as spiders go.