Sunday, March 19, 2006

Clear Sky Clock

Just one of the many bonuses one might receive when reading the fine posts in any edition of I and the Bird. The current edition, #19 lead me to Five Wells where I came across this very cool thing--a forecast of atmospheric conditions, designed for star gazers, from Clear Sky Clock. I followed the links and discovered that there is a Clear Sky Clock for Vanderwater Conservation Area, just a few kilometres east of Thomasburg.


Click on the thumbnail to see the full-size clock, or scroll down to the bottom of the page.

When I first put the Weather Channel button on the sidebar I really believed that it gave the current temperature for Tweed (the village 10 klicks up the highway). I wondered how they knew--then realized it is actually the temperature at Trenton (where there is a weather station), 30 klicks to the southwest and on the shores of Lake Ontario. Sometimes we share a temp with them, most times not. But as I understand it the Clear Sky Clock uses more detailed information from Environment Canada to produce forecasts for very specific spots all over North America. There are numerous clocks all ready up and running. And Attilla Danko, the author of the site, is ready to produce clocks for new spots, as required. If you're a stargazer, or if you're just a fan of weather like myself, it's well worth taking a look at what he's doing.

No comments: