Friday, April 07, 2006

Water

Ever since my visit to the Stoco Fen last week I've been thinking about water. I was surprised at how low the water was there, as I remarked in the post Skunk Cabbage in the Stoco Fen, and I later realized that this feeling was mainly due to the fact that the Moira River is so high. Why? I was imagining all kinds of complex explanations, and thinking about who I should contact for information, when a neighbour pointed out that while we had very little snow this winter areas north of us had more than usual. So melting snow has raised the level in the Moira while not affecting the Fen. Out in the cedar bush this morning I noted that the swamp was drier than usual for this time of year as well.

While the stream still runs through, normally the rest of this area would be underwater at this time of year.

A good wet spring would probably restore near normal conditions, it is just the first week of April after all. But sometimes spring rains don't come--could be a tough season ahead.

It felt strange to be able to walk across here as if it were the dead of winter or the height of summer. Normally in the spring the stream covers this whole expanse.


Nevertheless, the marsh marigolds (Caltha palustris) are up. Flowers soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely area- looks like fine habitat for many skulking birds. Our rivers are high from recent rains, but like you we didn't get the snowcover we normally do- and that will affect many things, including wildflowers. I'll be keeping my eyes open for marsh marigolds :)

Pamela Martin said...

Hi Cindy!

It is a good spot for birds (strangely, not as good for frogs as it should be...I'm thinking about getting a sample of the water tested). Excellent for mosquitoes too--warm wet summers I don't get in there as much as I'd like. So hard to know what kind of weather to hope for.