Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Deer Family Update

After I saw the coyote on the lane Sunday evening, and of course I've been hearing coyotes every night since I've been here, I hoped that I would see the doe and fawn again. Yes, coyotes have to eat, but I've picked sides this time.

This afternoon I was walking down the lane from the house and just past the point where I heard the strange noises the first night I was here I noticed something a shadowy shape in the wood to my left.


If you look closely, you can just see her in the trees. The fawn is to her right.

The doe and I stood and stared for a while I took a few pictures and then I saw that the fawn was with her. So, good, the fawn has survived in spite of the crowds of coyotes.


As they left the doe flipped her tail, as you can see, but otherwise they seemed calm.

Since the family is still here I guess the fawn is not yet up to the running life of the deer, but I expect that it won't be too much longer before they're off.

No comments: