Sunday, August 07, 2005

Hummingbird Lore

There is much to say about the birds I saw yesterday morning and this morning--lots of families out, lots of noise, strange late season songs and singers...but that will have to wait for another day.

Just one quick hummingbird note: Near the old apple tree, amidst the din of the agitated cardinal, I watched a hummingbird chase a wren out of a juniper with great vigour and persistence. It took three diving attacks until the wren was finally far enough away to suit the hummer. I know what it's like to have one of these little things buzz by--it has happened to me often enough when I've stood too close to the hummingbird feeder on the porch--but to have one come after you, intentionally, repeatedly and ferociously....The wren didn't have a chance.

Later in the day, on the 'net, I stopped by Pharyngula and found this post, containing a link to amazing photos of a hummingbird meeting its end at the hands of a praying mantis.

No comments: