Friday, October 13, 2006

Walking Stick Love

Lost in a folder marked "Sept18-flora," these images of northern walking sticks (Diapheromera femorata) I came upon cavorting in a raspberry patch. I was following a butterfly at the time, when the sight of three walking sticks in the canes stopped me. As I approached, gingerly, one of them dropped away, leaving two, busily engaged. I couldn't see for sure what was going on, but I photographed it as best I could, avoiding thorns and not wanting to disturb them if I could avoid it. As it happened, they didn't pay any attention to me.


Mating sticks


Back in August there was a walking stick hanging around on the patio.

Posing on the handle of a butterfly net

I did a little research, and oddly enough a lot of pet sites popped up. Also the comforting information that there is only one walking stick, the northern, likely to be found in my neighbourhood (so unlike the case of the bees and wasps!). In French they are known as bâtonnet ordinaire.

All aboard the Friday Ark!

5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Amazing pictures! I've only seen a walking stick once. Such strange creatures.

Pamela Martin said...

Thanks, Lynne. These guys are usually pretty hard to see in habitat (easier on the patio!) But this year I've been seeing them more often. I think I've finally got the "search image" in my head.

Duncan said...

We've got some big ones over here too Pamela, that's a beauty on the handle.

Pamela Martin said...

Hi Duncan! From what little I know of Australian fauna, I'm not surprised to hear that you have big ones, my guess bigger ones there. The subject of the second photo was very calm for me, a pleasure to photograph.

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving me information about walking sticks. your blog is very appreciable and quite. Healthgenie .in is an online shopping store and it provides wide ranges of personal care, elderly care, baby care, beauty, nutrition, diabetes, wellness and homecare Blood Pressure monitor, knee support,walking sticks.Thank you